Thursday, July 23, 2015

Boulder Bay.

And Unexpected Delights.



Again and again, unexpected delights surround if you just open yourself to the possibility.  Do you recall a few of my blog posts this past spring that talked about being open to new and unexpected situations? I talked about Shirley Moore and her book, You Are So You.  Here we are, months later, in a week that was filled with unexpected twists and turns, visions, and delights.



When I picked up my mail, the current issue of Perspectives, the Placer County Arts magazine was there.  The cover is a reproduction of one of my Lake Tahoe Boulder paintings. Not only an honor to have this painting selected for the cover, but also a unexpected delight.



Then, while out sketching among the boulders in the bay, Crystal Bay, I rounded a corner and came upon a field of rock cairns which were tucked back in a cove.  It was magical and unexpected.  Due to lower water levels there were multiple rock platforms for the cairns which someone had used to create a unique visual display.



While sitting in the kayak, observing these sculptures, the water lines on the rocks came into focus and unexpectedly influenced the sketching.



After all, this is the fourth year of drought conditions in California and Lake Tahoe water levels have dropped significantly.  This has happened previously leaving water marks on the boulders, and with this current low level many of those stains are visible. 



When I returned to the studio, with brush in hand, the water lines became a strong design and composition element in my current painting.  This was a completely unexpected turn and brought my thoughts back to Shirley Moore's attitude about being open to unexpected delights.


Lowering Water Levels In Boulder Bay 2015
Acrylic on Canvas
20x20
800.


Be open.  Be aware.  Be ready.  Something delightfully unexpected may happen.

To contact me click HERE
To visit my web site click HERE



No comments:

Post a Comment