Friday, August 22, 2014

Public Art V.

Installation

Yes, today was the day scheduled for installation of my Public Art piece for Detours Kings Beach 2014   Wouldn't you know, though I was hoping for a calm day, we woke to 15 mph winds blowing off the lake, white caps, cooler temps. This is problematic because the cool temps keep the canvas stiff and the wind blows everything all over the place making the installation effort just a bit more challenging.


I hired Duncan of D's Windowns ,a competent, ladder experienced man who does a fabulous job washing windows, to assist with attaching the painting to the tree.  He arrived with ladders, a big smile, and can do attitude.  That's Duncan.  Any anxiety I might have had about getting this painting up vanished in his presence.  

The view from the top of my ladder.

Once at the site, we realized it was going to take both of us climbing ladders to get the painting wrapped around the tree's trunk.  It's a good thing I am not too bothered by heights and teetery ladders, well, not too bothered.  There were just a couple little panic moments.

Adjusting the level of the painting, and yes, I climbed that ladder, almost to the top.

There was a bit of climbing up and down to get a visual so we could adjust the painting, where it would be placed on the tree and whether or not it was level.  The wind blew down one of the strips which started to whip in the breeze, crashing into my legs.  Ouch.

Looking up at the painting as I climbed up the ladder.

While I held the painting in place, Duncan adjusted, looped, and prepared the ratchet strap.  I also stared to remove the tape from the individual strips so they could cascade down along the trunk of the tree.  More whipping, crashing and ouch-ing.


Duncan completed the attachment by taping up the loose end of the ratchet strap, we removed the ladders, stepped back to take a look.  All in all a fairly simple installation.


Because the wind is blowing you cannot see all of the painting, some of the strips are flapping, that celebratory ribbon effect I was after.  I will go back on a calm day to take a few more photos to share.  Better yet, if you are in the area, stop by to take a look.  And while you're at it, look for the rest of the Detours Kings Beach Public Art. It will be exhibited through Sept 30.  Maps are scattered throughout Kings Beach.


Big thanks to Duncan of D's Windows     I could not have done this without you.  

Duncan Lee
D's Windows

D & Me

Just another view of the installed painting

Additional thanks to Village Interiors for their support and sponsorship of my installation and Public Art.

Detours Kings Beach 2014, a site specific, Public Art Exhibition.  August 23-September 30.  Maps can be seen by clicking HERE  DETOURS includes artists from the North Lake Tahoe/Truckee area, and two coming from Southern California. The site-specific art pieces will celebrate Lake Tahoe, with each piece telling a story that interprets the site on which it is located. Visitors will leave their cars to embark upon the free, family-friendly “art treasure hunt” with the help of free walking maps.Maps will also be available at the North Lake Tahoe Visitors’ Centers in Tahoe City and Kings Beach and near individual art installations.

To contact me click here
To visit my web site click here

No comments:

Post a Comment